A 67 years old female patient came with presenting complaints of
- tremors in the hands (involuntary movements of fingers and thumb)since 3.5 years
- pulling pain in to the both leg muscles starting from soles up to calf region
- low energy levels
- less concentration and slow initiation in activities
- Significant loss of weight
|K/C/O: Hypertension||Prakriti: KaphaPitta.|
|Past Medical history: Cervical spondylosis, on tranquilizer for the disturbed sleep||Dosha Sammurchhana: Vata|
Condition at the time of admission
GC: Stable, Afebrile.
|Dushya-Sammurchhana Rasavaha, Raktavaha, Mamsavaha, Asthivaha & Majjavaha srotasas.|
Weight: 56 KG.
Blood Pressure: 110/70 mm of Hg.
Pulse: 68 beats /min
|Koshta, - Madhyam|
PA:Soft, non-tender, No Organomegaly
CVS: S1, S2 heard
|Rogi Bala Madhyam|
|CNS examination: Memory was found affected||Roga Bala - Madhyam.|
|Sleep: Disturbed||Agni Bala - Manda|
|Family history myeloma cancer - mother and father was hypertensive.||Mala (bowel) – Ksheen|
All the blood results were grossly normal.
MRI of Lumbo - Sacral spine region –
A. Mild posterior bulge on L2 - L3 disc indenting the dural sac with posterior osteophytes.
B. Mild posterior bulge on L4 - L5 and L5 - S1 disc compressing the anterior epidural fat, indenting the dural sac.
C. Cervical and lumbar spondylosis.
Ahara Shakti- Avara
Jaran Shakti- Madhyam
Vyayam Shakti- Avara
1. Pramipex, Restyl (6.5 mg),
2. Syndopa plus (125mg),
3. Cardiaz (5mg), without any relief since 1 year.
Duration- 21 days, in-patient treatment
1. Ksheerabala and Narayana Tailam as Sarvanga Abhyanga for 7 days.
2. Anutaila as Pratimarshanasya (2 drops)
3. Sirodhara was started and continued for 7 days.
4. Swedan - Pindaswedan with Patra potali (Erandapatra & Arka patra) for 7 days.
5. Nasya Kriya as principal treatment, twice a day with Anutailam for 7 days
1. Ashtavargam Kashayam 15 ml with 45 ml water on empty stomach (BDS)
2. Ksheerabala Thailam (101 aavarti) - 10 drops (BDS).
3. Ashwagandharishtam 3 tsf with water TDS
4. Vidaryadi Ghritha 1 tsp (BDS) after meal.
5. ManasamithraVatakam 2 tabs once at bed time with milk
|Symptoms||Before treatment||After treatment||Follow up @ 6 months|
|Pulling pain in legs(VAS)||10||5||0|
|Quality of Sleep as measured on Parkinson’s disease Sleep Scale||102(Poor)||120(Significantly improved)||150(Very Good)|
|Adverse drug reactions of Allopathy medicines (Anorexia, weight loss, nausea, constipation, dry mouth, loss of mental alertness, memory loss)||Present||Absent||Absent|
|Gait Mobility score :||12||18||18|
|Bed Mobility score :(Lindop Parkinson’s Assessment Scale)||8||12||12|
1. There was significant improvement in the presenting complaints of the patient like pain, tremors.
2. And the overall well-being and quality of life which is usually affected severely in the Parkinson’s patients.
3. Significant weight gain which brought a underweight BMI 18 to normal BMI range of 22.
4. Adverse effects of conventional medicines brought down significantly and completely on Ayurveda medicines after a period of 8 months
5. Sustained wellbeing recorded upon review after 1 year.